Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Long Distance Date Night

I wanted to make sure I was involved in this months Gussy Sews Inspiration Workshop, because I haven't in a long time. This months topic is Date Night. I thought to myself... "I don't get a date night! My husband is 4,000 miles away! Boo!"


But that's totally wrong. We actually do get date nights, but they mostly consist of watching movies on Netflix. Many times we just sit with Skype on and he plays guitar while I am busy crafting. We share YouTube videos and post silly pictures on Facebook. We text. We call. 
It gets boring after a while, not having many options for a date night. I get jealous knowing that my friends get to go out with their spouses to dinner, hiking, or to a picnic in the park. Even just going to get coffee in the morning would be a dream for us! When we ARE together we try to make every second count. 



Long distance relationships are pretty common in the military. Quite a few of the people I work with have wives or girlfriends who live in the lower 48. It's nice to know I'm not alone, but it gets difficult because there are still people who think long distance doesn't work.

Here's my advice to anyone doing it long distance: 
  1. Make time for each other. Even though sitting around on Skype can be boring, you'll soon realize you're having some of the best conversations you've ever had.
  2. Don't listen to other people. You'll hear that long distance doesn't work. They will say married people "should" be together. I'm guilty of letting people's opinions get to me... and you know what happens? Joe and I get into a fight. If I didn't let these opinions get to me we could be spending our time together having fun. If you have decided as a couple what the situation is and how it is going to work, you don't need any other opinion messing with your head.
  3. Have a deadline. Know when you will finally be together in the same space permanently. If I told Joe that I wasn't sure about leaving the Army after my contract was up, it may have been difficult for him to see a long term relationship work. I KNOW I'm leaving and I know I'm moving to New York after that. We have our plan for the future and it helps on those days when we wake up lonely.
  4. Trust each other. It's part of knowing your relationship is a good one from the beginning. If you can't trust that your partner isn't dating other people, it doesn't matter how far away or close to each other you are... it's not going to work. 


I can't wait for the day when we can fight about doing the dishes and picking dirty clothes up off the floor!



4 comments:

raiha khan said...

<3 .. good one,i like the tips you gave.. i shall follow then too when i get in a long distance relationship if that is :p

Sarah Grace said...

I hope you don't have to do it, but it's possible to make it work! Thanks!

Breanna said...

Hi! Found you through the Gussy Sews link-up-- what a great post, especially for military spouses, or couples separated because of any type or work / circumstance / whatever. So glad you & your husband make it work, & truly value each second you get to see each other (via skype or in person)!

Bre
blogbybre.blogspot.com

Sarah Grace said...

He's coming to visit very soon and I'm so excited to hang out and do real couple stuff! Thanks for commenting!

Post a Comment

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...