Saturday, May 24, 2014

Great-Grandma Sarah's German Honey Cake


I have a recipe box that has a few family recipes in it. I've tried a handful so far, including yeast raised overnight waffles (which I will have to share because they ROCK.) But this time I'm going to share my great grandmothers recipe for German Honey Cake. Despite being called honey cake, it's not very sweet, but is great for breakfast with coffee. The raisins add to the sweetness, so don't leave them out, and make sure you toast the walnuts!

By the way, my great grandma Sarah crocheted the doily pictured here too. I keep it on my coffee table. She taught my mom how to crochet, and I would like to say my mom taught me, but really YouTube taught me. I know my mom showed me how to knit and crochet as a child but I forgot all of it and didn't decide to try to learn until I was in living in Guam. 



Ingredients (makes two 8x8 or one 9x12 cakes)
2 Eggs
2 1/2 Cups Flour
3/4 Cup Honey
1 Cup Oil
1 Cup Coffee
3/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Orange Juice
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
3/4 Cup Raisins

Mix all together. Beat at medium speed for five minutes. Pour into two 8x8 or one 9x12 pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...